Food Allergy Awareness Day in Albany 2023
Your New York State legislators need to hear from you why allergy friendly legislation is so important to our communities. As you know, your friends and family are part of the following:
* 2 million New Yorkers who are part of the 32 million Americans have life-threatening food allergies
* 356,000 of those New Yorkers are school children, who are part of the 5.6 million of are children nationally,
* 50% of all anaphylaxis fatalities occur with no previous history of allergies+
* From 2007 to 2016 EMS diagnoses of anaphylactic food reactions rose 377%
Based on conversations with many advocates in New York and other states, here are the pieces of legislation we'll discuss with legislators.
- Teacher Training Requires newly certified teachers to be trained in the use of an epinephrine auto-injector. Building on the success of School Authorize Stock Epinephrine and School Bus Driver legislation, teacher training is the next logical step. For many years, we've proposed this legislation to require newly certified teachers to be trained in the use of epinephrine auto injectors. We hope this year is the year it passes.
- Insurance Requires health insurance plans to provide coverage for epi-pens for individuals 18 years old and younger. Your stories can encourage legislators to join the state of Illinois in passing this important legislation.
- Epinephrine price cap bill caps the price of epinephrine auto injectors at $60 per prescription
- Non packaged food labelling requires adding sesame as the 9th allergen on the list required to be added to non-packaged food, consistent with the FASTER Act for packaged food.
Let Us Know You'll Be Joining Us